Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Home!

     Yes, I have traveled a lot.  There is one place that is very much in my heart.  That is Home.  I live in Fresno, California.
      I have lived in Fresno most of my life, even though I was born in Los Angeles, California.  We moved here when I was two years old in 1957 and have seen this city change in many ways. I can tell many stories about my past here, but I won't.  This city has grown from the small agricultural town I grew up in to the World Class City it is now. I used to hate this place, now I have fallen in love with it.
     Where do I start?  We have some great restaurants and night spots.  Some of the best Mexican restaurant are here, such as Cuca's and Castillo's. The Italian cuisine is fantastic as is the high end elegant restaurants such as The Standard.  Of course, there is always George's for shish-ke-bab and Middle Eastern cuising.  We have it all, including Ethiopian.
     How about sports?  This is a sports town. This is the home of the Vucovich's, one of racing's first families as well as the Gearhearts who designed the cars that ran at Indianapolis. Baseball is important, the city having had ties to Major League Baseball through its Fresno Cardinals and later Fresno Giants.  Now we are enjoying Triple A baseball at Chuckchansi Park downtown watching the San Francisco Giant affiliate Fresno Grizzlies.  If you are into baseball, who can remember the Hall of Fame infield and the saying Tinker to Evers to Chance.  Frank Chance was from Fresno.
     Do you like to play golf?  Fresno has some of the finest golf courses you can find anywhere.  One of the first courses in California is here, Fort Washington Country Club.  We have a course that was designed by the same designer who designed Torrey Pines in San Diego, Riverside Golf Course.  We have park style and true links style, all within a 30 mile radius.  Come and play.
     We have two national parks close to us and there are many lakes in the area to choose from.  Do you like to water ski?  How about riding the wind in a sailboat?  You can do that here on the lakes nearby.
     When I was younger, I could not wait to leave this town.  Since then I have come to enjoy the city and am proud to call it home.
Fresno's Fulton Mall 

No comments:

Post a Comment