Monday, July 22, 2013

Carnival Is Moving

     I remember going to San Pedro in Los Angeles to board our first few cruises on Carnival. The facility was sort of dated, but It was a very nice terminal and convenient to get in and out of.  However, Carnival wanted to move out of the facility in favor of a possible facility in Long Beach.  They got the Long Beach facility, right next to the Queen Mary in the old "Spruce Goose" building.  It was a good match.
     My son and I were on a Carnival cruise last year and I ran into the hotel manager of the ship and got into a conversation about Carnival, over a couple of scotchs and a cigar.  We talked about why Carnival doesn't deal with Elite Golf any more (number of golfers actually playing golf in the ports of call was minimal and the program was not making money) and a couple of other cruise related topics.  One was that Carnival was leaving Long Beach in favor of San Pedro.  I was sort of shocked.
     I don't know what precipitated the move, he wouldn't go into the details.  What he did share was that the Port of Los Angeles, i.e. San Pedro, was going to upgrade and remodel the San Pedro facility that Carnival formerly was using. I don't know what advantages this has for Carnival but I am sure that the change will benefit them financially.  At any rate, this will effect West Coast passengers in the beginning of 2014.  Having cruised from both ports, I really don't know if there is a disadvantage or advantage for passengers.  That will remain to be seen.
    By the way, I am booking cruises for the coming year through my association with Winsome Travel here in Fresno.  I have some great cruises on any of the cruise lines for all destinations, not just the West Coast. Give me a call.
The Carnival Splendor Docked at Long Beach

Heading home after the cruise from Carnival's Long Beach facility.

No comments:

Post a Comment