Monday, July 15, 2013

Have Agent...Will Travel

     What is a travel agent anyway? Some think that an agent takes your money for services you could do yourself over the internet.  I was guilty of that myself.  There is more to the discussion and I have learned some important lessons by not using the services of a travel consultant.
     Notice I used the title "Travel Consultant".  That is what a travel agent really is, at least a good one. They are there to be your representative.  They represent you and your interests, and provide some needed clout in case something goes wrong. They are there to truly help and look out for your interests, not just make your booking arrangements.
     Where are you going?  In most cases, your agent has been there and done that.  What Italian restaurant do you recommend when you are in San Diego, Ca.?  Phillippe's in Little Italy, of course.  How do I know that?  I have been there and have had dinner there.  If I haven't been somewhere, I at least know where I can find the information and if that information is accurate or just a paid advertisement for a specific restaurant or attraction.  Is it worth it?  A good agent will tell you.
     With an internet travel site, what happens if something goes wrong.  Who do you talk to, and how much pull do you have?  I have had this happen to my daughter when she booked an airline flight for her sister.  Something went wrong that could have been fixed had she been dealing with a travel agent. In the eyes of the person she was talking to on the internet site, she was just a number.  An agent would have been dealing with her and had been able to more effectively been an advocate for her.  The internet site was an intermediary and the problem was with the airline.  The agency would have been able to deal directly with the airline.
     A travel consultant working at a travel agency is there for you.  They represent you and are working for you.
A Seaplane Over British Columbia

No comments:

Post a Comment